Monday, December 14, 2009

The Oklahoma Aquarium

Well, finals week is finally over and Matt and I both did really well! It's been a very busy semester and we are very glad for the break.

This weekend we got to enjoy a little vacation with my parents, Lisa, Bart, Bryce and Griffin! My dad had some free nights for a hotel that he needed to use before the end of the year, so we chose a neat one near the Oklahoma Aquarium! Friday afternoon, after Bryce got out of playschool, all 8 of us (2 carseats included) packed in the suburban and we were on our way! We stopped by a beautiful light display along the way, and drove through enjoying the season together. After we got to the hotel and settled in, Bart and Matt went to get us Chili's to go. We ate our delicious food and played around the hotel. Bryce was so excited to be on the trip, he was a little bundle of energy! He and my dad went swimming, and he and Matt had a never ending game of chase and tickle attack rough housing going on. We had a lot of fun.

Saturday morning, after a wonderful breakfast, we headed on to the main event: The Aquarium!! Even though Matt and I went to the Dallas Aquarium about a month or so ago, I was definitely ready to see more fish and sea creatures!
There were some massive tanks at the aquarium. Griffin loved watching the fish swim by. Grandpa gave him a close up with this silly fish!

One of the really exceptional parts of the aquarium is a touch tank. In the tank, there are stingrays and small sharks that you can pet and feel! (Luckily for us, the stingrays had their stingers clipped so we didn't have to fear for our lives) It felt so strange and exciting to touch these dangerous creatures! The sharks felt kind of sandpapery because apparently they have little bitty scales all over them. The stingrays felt soooo smooth and slick. It was spectacular.


I was also blown away by this giant octopus! It was so neat to watch it move around the tank and get to see it from all different angles.




Even though I am not a fan of Jellyfish (stinging in the ocean) Matt and I were mesmerized by these glowing beauties. It was almost enough to convince us we needed one in our future home. *laughs* How much maintenance could they require...really... there's hardly anything to them!


They also had a walk through shark tunnel. It is so neat to see the giant creatures swimming all around you. It also featured a huge set of chompers from a Megalodon: The largest predator of all time. Their teeth were about 7 inches long and they ate whales like they were grapes!


Together, Bryce and I were almost as tall as this Alligator Gar!
I am so glad Matt and I were able to go on this fun trip with my family! We had a blast!

1 comment:

  1. YAY!! I had been anxiously waiting for this post! *grins* It looks like you guys had a really fun trip. I wish Kenny and I could have come along too!! Then we REALLY would have been squished in the suburban huh? :)

    You got some really fun pictures! That touch tank DOES look intriguing, and WOW! Jellyfish!! Yes I think you guys need some of those ;) What fun!!

    ReplyDelete